So as most of you know I shoot medium format when I’m not shooting with my Nikon D4, and have mainly shot with a Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID. When I first got the camera, I would take it along on my travels. Recently while doing some spring cleaning I came across some old exposed 6×7 film shot back in 2013. What I found on these rolls were just amazing.
In February I picked up a Nikon S2 Rangefinder – For those that do not know the history of this camera let me shed some light on it for you.
The Nikon S2 released in 1955 was one of the Japanese camera makers best-selling cameras selling over 56,000 pieces. Built like a tank the body is sturdy and works well in any weather conditions. This camera is completely mechanical so no batteries required – that also means no meter so there is definitely that learning curve to those that haven’t shot with older vintage cameras or film.
So enough about the camera and back to the fun stuff – shooting film. So last time I shot film was probably in the early 2000s, probably over 15 years ago, damn its been that long crazy. Well, let’s just say it wasn’t like riding a bike. I had to re-educate myself in regards to Hyper-focusing, Zone Focusing and Sunny 16 rule to get the right exposure. After a 2 weeks and 2 rolls of expired film, I finally dropped off my film to be developed. For those that live in Toronto – Toronto Image Works was amazing for both developing and providing digital scans of my shots.
I was surprised by the images that came – good to know I still got it few shots were underexposed but 80% or was spot on. There’s something about shooting film that digital definitely lacks, and that’s the surprise of seeing the shots you captured when you get it back from the lab.
I’ve received a few DM’s and messages about the photo I recently posted of Maylin, asking about me about my lighting settings and setup.
So here is its.
I used the window light as my main light – we shot around 10AM and the light that was coming through the window was strong but defused due to being a cloudy day. Room being a light colour helped a bit by bouncing the light back on the subject.
I used the ElinchromELB 400 head with Rotalux 100cm square softbox (internal defuser only) as my fill, it was placed at a 45 degree angle from the subject. The head was placed on the B channel and was set at a low power, not to overpower the ambient light from the window or the lamp.
The shot was taken with a 35mm lens with the camera set to ISO 160, it was then manually set to f3.5 aperture and 1/125 shutter speed. By placing the lens close to the lamp and making use of the depth of field at f3.5 the foreground lamp melted away leaving the out of focus bright orange affect you see in the image this was caused by fthe tungsten bulb in the lamp.
A sample from my recent portrait session with Maylin Aguirre@fashionmodel.it from Milano, Italia. We have been trying to coordinate a shoot for over 4 years and finally the stars connected in 2018. Photographed with the NIKON D4 and lit by Elinchrom ELB400 w/ a Rotalux 100cm Octobox.
Had the privilege of photographing and chatting with Maj. J. Estrela, an Army officer in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, this past Rememberance Day. Special thanks to Royal Canadian Military Institute for hosting us and Robert Baines of The NATO Assoication of Canada for helping me put this together. I am currently looking for funding for a project to photograph and document the stories of 400 veterans from across Canada. I hope this is the first portrait of many to come. Thank you Maj. Estrela for your time, service and sacrifice.